ServerForum.org - The Professional IT Community

Full Version: Difference in power consuption Xeon E5 2630 V4 vs Xeon E5 2630L V4 low power server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 

For a new test server I try to find out how much is the difference between both CPUs in power consumption. It is really hard to find any information, I think overall the CPU load should not be so high. Currently installed is an Intel I3-7100 my server with 64 GB ram. But now I need more RAM and therefore I need to change the CPU and Motherboard. Most important point is the power consumption. Could anyone help on my question? 

Current Setup / consumption:  
1.   Intel I3-7100
2.   Asrock B250 Pro 4
3.   4x16 GB DDR4 Crucial 2400
4.   2x Seagate 8TB Ironwolf 27/7 HDD
5.   1x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 
6.   27/7 Server Power Supply Gold 350 Watt
Hi, 

how much is the power consumption with your current setup?
Hey, 

IDLE: 38 - 41 Watts
CPU-Load 40-70 %: 60 Watts
CPU-Load 70-100 %: 73 Watts this is the current maximum
how was the consumption measured and do you known how much watts the CPU needs? 

I think both Xeons would definitely us more power as your current setup, also the X99 Motherboards as they have more features installed on the motherboard such as: power caps,  more connections etc. but I can not really answer your question, but I can ask a friend which is working on a datacenter, maybe he can export reporting data from the server management dashboard.
The datas are reportet from my ACP USV device form the dashboard. HW-Monitor shows the highest CPU power consuption with 27,58 Watts but I'm not sure if that's true. 

Please find the screenshots attached
Hi,

OK. then I think that the values should be correct, since the ACP devices are good from quality point of view. I only find that the power consumption for a dual-core system is not so little with almost 30 watts. Compared with my notebook CPU Intel I7-4700MQ stresstest with prime95, HW-Monitor show me a maximum consumption about 32,31 Watts and I think the multicore performance should be better as your Intel I3-7100. Could you please share your benchmark score from CPU-Z? Then we could compare the performance. 

For the Intel Xeon E5-2630L V4 I have found the following data which show a power usage of 45 Watts, but I think the value is calculated based on the TDP which is 55 Watts

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5-26...-E5-2620V4
this is really interesting, at home I have a Acer 772G notebook with an Intel I7-4702MQ this means the low power version. I have a maximum power usage from 28,98 watt showing in HW-Monitor. A CPU benchmark with CPU-Z Show me a better performance result as the I7-4700MQ which is the standard 
  • Intel I7-4702MQ = TDP 37 Watts power usage HW-Monitor = 28,98 Watts
  • Intel I7-4702MQ = CPU-Z single core result 320,7 Multicore result 1510,4
  • Intel I7-4700MQ = TDP 47 Watts power usage HW-Monitor = 32,31 Watts
  • Intel I7-4700MQ = CPU-Z single core result 281,5 Multicore result 1405,9

So therefore, the lower TDP processor has a little bit less power usage but a better performance as the I7-4700MQ. I think the difference in the results is coming from the lower clock speed on the I7-4700MQ. The Acer has a better cooling solution, which allows the I7-4702MQ to run on a higher CPU clock speed. The result is for me lower TDP, higher clock speed, better performance but still less power consumption. I’m not sure if this only regarding the TDP difference?!
Hello

thanks for your feedback. This is really interesting thing, so maybe we can collect some datas from different systems / CPUs for a better comparison. Or a database with collected datas from different systems? 

@Admin, maybe this is a good point to create a database with power usage and benchmark results?
Why not, but I thnik we should open a seperate thread for this Wink

Just an short update regarding your question about the Intel E5-2630l V4 I have found the following setup and the power usage

Idle: 47 Watts
CPU-Z Benchmark: 88 Watts

Quote:Motherboard GA-X99M Gaming 5
Xeon E5-2630Lv4
CPU Cooler Alpenfön Silvestra
2 * 4GB DDR4 Crucial Bal.Tact.
SSD 128GB OCZ Agility3
PS/2 Kbd & mouse
VGA Radeon X1300 256mb PCIe
Powersupply BeQuiet Sytem Power 350W
Results:

47 Watts in windows doing nothing, cores mostly at 1200mhz
88 Watts in windows with CPU-Z stress cpu running
Quote:Idle: 47 Watts

CPU-Z Benchmark: 88 Watts

this sounds nice, I think this is a good value for this count of cpus. I have seen the E5-2628L V4 has 12 core instead of 10  Huh