ServerForum.org - The Professional IT Community

Full Version: HP ProLiant ML350 G6 with Xeon X5670
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm new in the forum. Now I wanted to learn some server technology for professional reasons. I bought a used HP ProLiant ML350 G6 and am about to equip it.

So far I have installed six SAS disks in three logical drives (RAID 5 for the system disks).

The device has 64 GByte memory and two Xeon X5670. I installed OpenSuse Leap 42.3 and wanted to configure Xen virtualization.

I wanted to install a Quadro FX1800, but the ProLiant is bitching with it. It doesn't boot with this card anymore. Does anyone have experience with other graphics cards in a ProLiant?

I have a very old firmware in the Array Controller P410i. Does anyone have any experience with the upgrade ? Is that safe ? I didn't want to lose my logical drives.

I also noticed that I can't download a new BIOS. HPE wants a support contract. Strange
Quote:I have a very old firmware in the Array Controller P410i. Does anyone have any experience with the upgrade ? Is that safe ? I didn't want to lose my logical drives.

Since the RAID configuration is stored on the disks, there should be no problems.

Quote:I also noticed that I can't download a new BIOS. HPE wants a support contract. Strange

Yes, HP 2014 changed that for the Proliant servers. During the warranty period you have access to the updates, after that only with a software contract. Security updates should still be freely available. Here is the Heise article.
Hello,

Since 2014 HP requires a valid support contract for the BIOS upgrade of a ProLIant server.

This is very expensive - especially if the server has not been in support for a while. HP wanted 1600 € from me for one year to get the server back into support at all (purchase price at eBay 140 € !).

Does anyone have a BIOS upgrade package for the ProLiant (rpm file) ? I need the file for Linux (upgrade via Live USB Key)
I'm pretty sure that the Bios upgrades can't just be distributed, otherwise the whole support package would be hard to sell.