ServerForum.org - The Professional IT Community

Full Version: RAID 5 with 1 core and 1GHz CPU speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very briefly:

Thinclient with AMD Sempron 2100+ (1GHz) as software RAID5 via MDADM in TinyCore Linux?

Is that enough for pure data storage? I don't need more than about 50MB/s. 4 disks a 2TB are used.

Who has experience with CPU requirements for software RAID?

I know that this is definitely not a fast solution, but is it even possible to "use" something like this?

I can't test how it works at the moment - it will take 1-2 weeks until I have the time. Therefore a short feedback would be very much appreciated.
How are the HDs connected?

From the CPU this shouldn't be a problem at first - possibly the existing RAM could still be a little problematic - also depending on how many clients access the system in parallel...
The CPU is nearly 10 years old and has 392 Passmark points. There is my Apple Watch and numerous Atoms faster.

And then a PCI controller? Oh dear.

I am very skeptical that you will reach the 50Mbyte/s with the setup. When writing in Raid5 (the CPU is more intensive) you will fall down to a much lower speed. The long-term stability / longevity of your data doesn't really seem important to you with such old hardware.